Personnel Files

Under Michigan law, you have the right to review your personnel file if your employer or former employer has four or more employees.

How do I request to see my personnel file?

You only need to make a written request which describes your personnel file to your employer. The request should include your name, Social Security number and dates of employment. You may also need other identifying information such as the location of your workplace, plant number or badge number, if applicable. Your employer has to allow you to review your file at a place reasonably near your place of employment, during regular working hours.

Can I get a copy of my personnel file?

You can obtain copies of the information in your personnel file by submitting a written request. Your employer can require that you pay the actual cost of making the copies.